Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Help

I know I mentioned this a little bit in my last blog, but I am going into more detail. So last weekend at the beach, I starting reading "The Help." I knew that I wanted to read it because I wanted to see the movie. If I don't read the book first, then I will never read it after the movie. Mainly, because I am not a big reader. I say that I am not a big reader, but once I get into a book I cannot put it down. I started this book on Friday and I was halfway through by Saturday-that is huge for me! Anyway, back to this book. The book is set in the 1960's in Jackson, Mississippi. This is a time where the blacks and whites did not get along. The book is about this white girl Skeeter who wants to be a writer. She decides that she wants to write a book from the point of view of the help. Back then most colored women worked as maids for white families. They did all their cooking, cleaning, raising their babies, and so on. By the way I could never imagine having someone else raise my child-that is nuts. Anyway, Aibileen is the main character in this story and she is the first maid to say that she will help Ms. Skeeter. Now, I don't want to give anything away, but I will just say that this is a must read. I finished the book on Wednesday and went to see the movie last night. I will say that I was very impressed with the movie as well. I thought they did a great job of trying to stick to as close to the book as possible. The one thing I was sad about was that the love story was not really  prominent in the movie. I am sucker for the love story-always have been. But other than that I thought it was great. Of course they were a few tears shed durning the movie! The book and movie are truly inspiring. It is crazy to think that although this story is fiction, things like this really did happen during the 1960's in the United States and I think that is horrible. I cannot imagine making a colored women use a different bathroom from me. We are all the same in that we are all people, and have feelings regardless of color. So if you haven't read this book I would say GET TO READING!! You will not regret it, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment